We are wrapping up submissions for Issue 6. I hope to have it released by October. Thank you for your patience while I dealt with my personal emergencies this summer.
Issue 7 will be available January 15, 2018. We’ve changed our submission deadline to no longer having a deadline. We will read submissions year round. We will still have two issues a year, available on January 15 and July 15. The optional theme for Issue 7 is fire.
We are accepting art, photography, comics, poetry, creative nonfiction, comics, and fiction for our fifth issue. This time we are going to have a themed section, and we will accept other pieces that do not fit with the theme.
The theme: Depression. Show us the diagnosis, dealing with depression, overcoming depression, anything to do with depression. Give us artwork, stories with depressed characters, poems with depressed speakers, comics, and so on. Interpret it yourself and show us what you created.
Deadline is November 15. For information on how to submit, check our Submit page. We are interested in comics, so please send them our way!
DSM-IV-TR Mood Disorders
1. Major Depressive Episode and Major Depressive Disorder
Major Depressive Disorder requires two or more major depressive episodes.
Depressed mood and/or loss of interest or pleasure in life activities for at least 2 weeks and at least five of the following symptoms that cause clinically significant impairment in social, work, or other important areas of functioning almost every day
- 1. Depressed mood most of the day.
- 2. Diminished interest or pleasure in all or most activities.
- 3. Significant unintentional weight loss or gain.
- 4. Insomnia or sleeping too much.
- 5. Agitation or psychomotor retardation noticed by others.
- 6. Fatigue or loss of energy.
- 7. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt.
- 8. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness.
- 9. Recurrent thoughts of death (APA, 2000, p. 356).
Don’t forget to submit to the third issue of The Magnolia Review! Deadline is November 15. For information on how to submit, check our Submit page.
Don’t forget to submit to the second issue of The Magnolia Review! Deadline is May 15. For information on how to submit, check our Submit page.
Deadline to submit to our first issue is December 15! Poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and art/photography.
We’re listed on Duotrope! Submit poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and art for our first issue! Deadline is December 15.